The Sun *Might* Come Out... Wear Sunscreen!
Hello Loyal Soup People! I’m writing this column on the 15th straight day of measurable rain. I’ve forgotten what the sun looks like! So, I’ve decided to write a column about sunscreen! I figure if I write about sunscreen, spring will return! Also, I annually write about this topic because I find it so important.
The first thing I want to do is direct you to the Environmental Working Group’s Sunscreen Guide. This online resource provides tips for finding the sunscreen that is best for you, the science behind their recommendations, and my favorite, the Hall of Shame. Never buy sunscreens on that list!! Please note that this guide is from 2015. They’ll soon release an updated guide for 2016.
EWG provides a few basic tips when looking for sunscreen:
– Never use spray-on, towelettes, and powder based sunscreens. They are full of horrible chemicals and aren’t effective.
– Use a minimum of level 30 SPF
– Do not use sunscreen containing Retinyl Palmitate, Oxybenzone and other Endocrine disrupting chemicals.
– Avoid sunscreen that doubles as another product (i.e. bug repellent or tanning lotion)
– Reapply every two hours or more
– Wear sunscreen every day. Even when it’s cloudy!
Now that we’re all protected, maybe the sun will return!!
*NOTE – Soupermom is not a licensed dietitian, doctor, personal trainer, or anything like that. She’s just extremely knowledgeable about healthy living!! But if you slip and fall while taking her advice, it is not her fault!