You Can Never be Too Prepared!
Hello Loyal Soup People! After watching the devastation from Hurricane Matthew and seeing people have to evacuate their homes, I began to think about what we would do in such a situation. Fortunately, we live in an area that has minimal impact from violent storms. However, it is always a good idea to be prepared for an emergency. I recommend that families always have a “go-kit” on hand in case you need to leave in a hurry. Don’t leave important decisions about what to take and leave when in a crisis. Plan ahead. A well stocked “go-kit” should have:
– A first aid kit – In addition to having basics such as antiseptic, band aids, and gauze, have back up prescription medication (insulin, etc.).
– Keep copies of important documents in a waterproof container. You may want to include copies of your birth certificates, marriage certificates, social security cards, insurance policies, bank information, and any other vital information you may need.
– Food and water – Keep a three-day supply of non-perishable food and water. Stock one gallon of water per person, per day. Non-perishable food ideas include canned beans, dried fruit, nut butters, crackers, etc.
– Tools and supplies – Have a Swiss-army type tool that can open cans and bottles, and can also act as a screwdriver etc. Have back up toilet paper, tissues, handy-wipes, and a crank radio in case you lose power or Internet.
– Clothing – Pack layers of clothing and undergarments. Always remember hats and gloves.
– Cash – have at least $200 or more of money on hand in case there is a power outage and you need to purchase anything. Those who lived in New York during the great black out of 2003 always remember the need for cash! Keep the cash in a waterproof container as well.
Of course, some items depend on your family’s needs. If you have a baby, have back up diapers and baby wipes. If you have a pet, keep spare food and a water dish handy.
Of course, always keep your gas tank at least half full. Hopefully, you’ll never have to use your “go-kit.” But knowing it is ready will give you peace of mind.
*NOTE – Soupermom is not a licensed dietitian, doctor, personal trainer, or anything like that. She’s just extremely knowledgeable about healthy living!! But if you slip and fall while taking her advice, it is not her fault!